Javier Rodríguez

Javier leads Expat Agency and is an expert in Inmigration and Intercultural Exchange. He studied Law & Political Science between the universities of Granada (Spain), Prague (Czech Republic) and Poznań (Poland) and is an official collaborator at DGT (Directorate General of Traffic). He speaks English, French, Italian and Spanish and is accustomed to work for expats from all over the world.


  1. Louis van Zyl
    October 14, 2016 @ 8:32 pm

    Dear recipient. Is there any concession for English speaking applicants over the age of 75 regarding the Spanish language test when applying for Spanish nationality, such as seems to be the case in the UK?


    • Francisco Valencia - Expat Agency
      October 15, 2016 @ 2:03 pm

      Dear Louis,

      Unfortunately there is not any concession for English speaking applicants over the age of 75 regarding the Spanish language test when applying for Spanish nationality. The only people who don’t have to pass this test are underage and disable people (legal incapacitation).

      However, taking into account you are thinking of the dual nationality due to Brexit effects, we are awaiting new concessions for British expatriates living abroad to make Brexit as soft as possible for them.

      So we shall wait for news.

      Best Regards,
      Francisco Valencia
      Expat A. Legal Department


  2. Farmani
    March 3, 2017 @ 12:06 pm

    Dear recipient : I m from Iran and living currently in china about 10 years also my wife is Chinese . i would like to ask you that i can apply for Spanish residency for my own and my family by buying property in Spain ? In some website i read that can be, by investing at least 500,000 euro and taking some times like 5 years , but most of these websites are real state and not sure can be trusted or no . finally i found this website and i think you are the best person can help me out. Also because of my nationality and my wife nationality and some limitation and political matters about these 2 countries ( china &Iran) please help me to know that i can apply or no. Best Regards


    • Expat Agency
      March 12, 2017 @ 8:38 pm

      Hello Farmani,

      Indeed you can get a Golden Visa if you purchase a house over €500.000EUR. We have relocated some families from Iran thoughout another kind of VISA (like the non lucrative one). So it depends on the case. Feel free to contact us by email to know further.

      Thank you for your comment and best regards!


  3. jayne collins
    March 16, 2018 @ 10:47 am

    Hi Javier I owned property, lived and wirked in Spain (balearics) for 15 years, but only obtained my residencia after my 2 children were born in 2011.
    Although I did have empadron.
    In 2014 I handed our green cards in and returned to the uk, then sold my house.we now wish to return to Spain and buy a property, could I have your contact information as I could do with some expert advice.


  4. gloria bint
    September 7, 2018 @ 3:36 pm

    Hola Javier, yo vivo en inglaterra oxfordshire, casada con ingles y con dos hijos nacidos en inglaterra. My hijo mayor estuvo trabajando los dos anos pasados en Espana (baleares), me gustaria saber, asi como yo tengo la Nacionalidad Espanola, mis hijos podrian tener pasaporte espanol sin perder el pasaporte ingles ?, cual seria la gestion mas directa, el Consulado Espanol en londres o la Embajada de Espana en londres, a donde hay que dirigirse. Muchas gracias de antemano.


    • Javier Rodríguez
      September 11, 2018 @ 7:54 pm

      Hola Gloria,

      Puesto que no hay convenio de doble nacionalidad entre España y Reino Unido, tus hijos tenían 3 años para solicitar la nacionalidad española después de obtener la nacionalidad británica. Lo que sí pueden es tener sendos pasaportes (británicos y españoles).

      Un saludo,


  5. Kate Vredevoogd
    October 26, 2020 @ 10:52 am

    Hello Javier,

    I am a US citizen with a Spanish NIE. I’ve lived in Spain legally with my pareja de hecho, who is a Spanish citizen, for over a year. I am fluent in Spanish and am confident I could pass any language evaluation. If I repudiate my US citizenship in front of a Spanish judge, is there any possibility that I could effectively lose it? Is there any possible situation in which I could become a Spanish citizen (I would like the take the sworn translator exam and it requires citizenship) while maintaining my US citizenship? Thanks so much!


    • Javier Rodríguez
      October 28, 2020 @ 7:05 pm

      Hello Kate,

      Actually you will need to pass 2 different evaluations: one is for the Spanish language and the other one is a Constitutional and Sociocultural test.

      About maintaining your US citizenship, regardless of my answer, I must clarify it always depends on your current country of nationality, first and, secondly, even if it doesn’t look that way, one thing is the citizenship and another thing is the passport. In other words: you may maintain your US passport when applying for the Spanish one. The citizenship is something “different, inmaterial, abstract, undetermined”, let’s say.

      I hope it helps.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *