DRIVING LICENCE EXCHANGE IN MALAGA
When should I exchange my driving licence in Malaga?
This is one of the most common questions between expatriates around Spain. So, in case you are not sure about this, we highly recommend you to check our post about how to exchange your driving licence in Spain.
IS IT MANDATORY IN SPAIN?
(updated on December, 2021)
You can drive in Spain using a foreign driver’s licence for up to 3-6 months, unless you become a resident in Spain.
All valid EU (European Union) Community and EEA (European Economic Area) driving licences are valid in Spain provided that the holder meets the minimum driving age in Spain.
Therefore, YOU WILL ONLY NEED TO EXCHANGE your foreign driving licence for a Spanish one, as follows:
1. If your driving licence is European and you have already been a resident in Spain for 2 years or longer (according to EU/EEA laws) and
- Your driving licence is not limited in time or
- Your driving licence is valid for over 15 years or longer for group 1 (AM, A1, A2, A, B and BE), and/or for over 5 years or longer for group 2 (C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE) or
- Your driving licence is due to expire or expired
2. If your driving licence is not European, you have 3 months to exchange it from the moment you become a resident in Spain.
Source: Spanish Government Website
WHICH LICENCE CANNOT BE EXCHANGE?
EU licences can only be renewed in the holder’s country of residence (not country of origin).
Therefore, if you are a resident in Spain, you must renew your driving licence in Spain (or exchange it when it is expired). In addition, the licence terms of their country of residence will apply. This means that if a driver with a licence from an EU or EEA country other than Spain is resident in Spain, they will have to renew their licence every ten years if they are under the age of 65, and every five years if they are over the age of 65. Renewing an EU/EEA licence in Spain effectively converts it into a Spanish EU licence. Several EU countries issue licences that are valid for life, but in Spain, these will only be valid for five or ten years. Those who do not renew their licences may be fined. The licence must be renewed within 2 years of the first day of the driver’s official residency in Spain.
The Spanish traffic office (Dirección General de Tráfico) will not exchange:
- Driving licences obtained on a later date than the signing of the convention being legally resident in Spain. (in the case of the republic of korea the date on which the driving licence was obtained may be later than that of the legal residence);
- Driving licences obtained from a licence exchanged from another country that does not have an exchange agreement with Spain;
- Drivers who are not residents in Spain.
We can exchange your driving licence in Malaga
(including all Malaga Province)
What do we need from you to exchange your driving licence in Malaga?
Basically, we need the following:
1. To exchange your current driving licence:
- Valid Passport or EU National Identity Card;
- Medical Certificate (medical fitness test)
- Proof of Address (“volante de empadronamiento” or “padron”)
- Certificate of EU residency in Spain or T.I.E.
- Valid Driving Licence To Be Exchanged (Original And Photocopy);
- A Recent Photograph 32X25mm, also called “foto carnet”;
2. To replace a lost driving licence:
If you lose your driving licence, please contact us.
About the Licence ADDRESS
And to replace/exchange a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed driving licence?
To replace/exchange a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed driving licence, we will need:
- Valid national identity card, passport or residence permit
- 32 x 26 mm recent colour photograph
- The original driving licence (in case of damaged licence)
- Original Police Report (in case of lost or stolen licence)
- Public Fee: €20,60
Vehicle transfer in Malaga
Spanish Number Plate
Spanish Driving Licence
Fine, issue, communication
Importing a car into Spain
5 REASONS to rely on us
Best choice to exchange your driving licence around Costa del Sol
Faster, easier, safer
At the moment, Expat Agency only provides this services around Costa del Sol. So if you live around Costa del Sol, do not hesitate to contact us and we will provide you more info about this exchange.
More effective than any gestoria. Cheaper than any other office.
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US AND GET A QUOTE WITH NO COMMITMENT
GET A QUOTE
We will provide you a personal quote within 24 hours
CHECK ONE OF OUR RELATED POSTS