Expat Agency
We Assist You To Live in Spain

Javier Rodríguez

Javier leads Expat Agency and is an expert in Inmigration and Intercultural Exchange. He studied Law & Political Science between the universities of Granada (Spain), Prague (Czech Republic) and Poznań (Poland) and is an official collaborator at DGT (Directorate General of Traffic). He speaks English, French, Italian and Spanish and is accustomed to work for expats from all over the world.


  1. sue
    October 18, 2017 @ 12:55 pm

    Hi there, Is it possible to put a date on posts. So we know if they are current or not.

    Thanks very much


    • Javier Rodríguez
      February 12, 2018 @ 12:33 pm

      Hello Sue,
      Yes it is a good advice. It’s done. Thank you!


  2. Sylvia Cheal
    February 4, 2018 @ 12:48 pm

    My husband (British Citizen) but has been living in Canada for 40 years only has a Canadian Licence. Does he really have to do a driving lessons and tests

    He is 73 years old and has been driving for 55 years !

    We are Residents of Spain and have been living here for just one year.



    • Javier Rodríguez
      February 12, 2018 @ 12:50 pm

      Hello Sylvia,
      I guess he brought an International Driving Licence when he came to Spain one year ago. And this IDV lasts one year. After that period, he would not have any driving licence to drive around Europe.


      • John Donaldson
        February 19, 2018 @ 10:23 pm

        Hi Javier,this is Sylvias’ husband John
        (see Sylvias last post for me) and thanks for that advice except my Canadian D/L is STILL valid and I can renew my International Drivers Licence on line for another year as it has JUST expired.
        BUT BEFORE I go ahead and renew it WILL I be OK to use it here ?.
        PS. We are now Spanish residents & we are both UK citizens and I get a UK pension as well as a Canadian one))


        • Javier Rodríguez
          March 12, 2018 @ 1:47 pm

          Hello John,

          Once you become a resident in Spain, you are not allowed to drive with an IDL in Spain, I am afraid.

          Kind Regards,


  3. Paul Coulthard
    July 27, 2018 @ 12:39 pm

    This is very Useful Javier. I now know that I have 2 years (from obtaining Residency last week) to exchange my UK licence for a Spanish one. But I will do it sooner – to avoid any problems. Thank you.


    • Javier Rodríguez
      July 27, 2018 @ 3:12 pm

      Hello Paul,

      I am glad you found it useful. Thank you for commenting.


  4. Yolanda Gilchrist
    August 3, 2018 @ 3:07 pm

    I am from the USA, have been here a year and getting ready to renew my non-lucrative visa for two years. Was wondering if I re-new my International Driving Permit will I be able to drive with that or is just having a valid US driver’s license enough to drive until I have to get a Spanish Driver’s License.

    Best regards,


    • Javier Rodríguez
      August 7, 2018 @ 11:15 am

      Hello Yolanda,

      I am afraid that once you become a resident in Spain (through a non-lucrative visa, for example) you will not be able to drive until getting a Spanish Driving License. This is according to the law, of course.

      I hope it helps,


  5. David Cruickshank
    September 25, 2018 @ 6:12 pm

    Hi Javier
    Have just obtained Spanish Residency and would like to change my licence to a Spanish one, however I want to drive a Motor home over 3.5 tonnes, (C1, C1E), which I legally can do in UK, but was worried as I hear the Spanish don’t always transfer the categories?
    Any help appreciated
    David Cruickshank


    • Javier Rodríguez
      September 25, 2018 @ 6:37 pm

      Hello David,
      You can keep your C1, C1E categories when exchanging your driving licence in Spain. However, you will need to take a medical fitness test (nothing great) for each category you want to keep over the B one.
      I hope it helps.
      Javier Rodríguez


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *