Expat Agency
We Assist You To Live in Spain

Javier Rodríguez

Javier leads Expat Agency and is an expert in Inmigration and Intercultural Exchange. He studied Law & Political Science between the universities of Granada (Spain), Prague (Czech Republic) and Poznań (Poland) and is an official collaborator at DGT (Directorate General of Traffic). He speaks English, French, Italian and Spanish and is accustomed to work for expats from all over the world.


  1. Denis Lawson
    November 4, 2016 @ 6:42 pm

    You CAN get an NIE without being a property owner or a resident. You are obliged to get one if you stay in Spain for more than 3 months and for the purposes of car purchase and registration.


  2. Asif Vohra
    September 10, 2018 @ 3:58 pm

    Hello Mr. JAVIER,

    Myself Mr. Asif Vohra, an Indian Narional, and Founder of CENSURED, i have obtained NIE in the year of 2016 but it was issued on A4 size paper, but i want to change it to Card. Please advise.

    I also need some infirmation on my permanent residence procedure. I shall be viaiting spain in this month 3rd week. (i frequently travel to spain on short term visitor visa).

    For your kind reference, i possesed below documents:

    1. NIE
    2. NIF ( I have registered one company in 2015, currently no transaction in it)
    3. Bank account (Caixa Bank)

    Asif Vohra


    • Javier Rodríguez
      September 11, 2018 @ 7:57 pm

      Hello Asif,

      I believe you just have the Indian citizenship, so you have a non-EU passport. Therefore, you would need to apply for a visa or a resident permit depending on your current situation and regardless of your company from 2015.

      I hope it helps.

      Kind Regards,


  3. Fay
    November 20, 2018 @ 5:31 pm

    Hi Javier,

    I am a British national. I lived and worked in Spain for the past 2 years (Sept 2016-June 2018) and I have my NIE certificate and residency (green card). I left Spain and went back to the UK to live, and now I am coming back to Spain in January. Is my NIE certificate and residency still valid or do I need to renew? If I need to renew, do you know how I would do this?

    Many thanks in advance.


    • Javier Rodríguez
      November 20, 2018 @ 6:37 pm

      Hello Fay,
      Unless you do not leave the card at the police and inform them you are leaving, the card is still valid and running. Only after 5 years, you can apply for a permanent one.
      Kind Regards,


  4. Maria
    March 1, 2022 @ 11:17 pm

    I lived in a Spain from 2015-2016 and obtained an NIE number (on the small paper green credit card size) I moved back to the UK and am still here now. I am looking to move back to spain – will my NIE still be valid?


    • Javier Rodríguez
      March 2, 2022 @ 1:25 pm

      Hello Rachael,
      You need to apply for the new TIE for UK Nationals. Having that certificate there should not be any issues unless they notice you were not in Spain for the last years through the system.
      If you want us to assist you with this, please let me know.
      Kind Regards,
      Javier R.


  5. Mary Rutter
    May 4, 2022 @ 6:41 pm

    I have the credit card nie/residencia issued in 2012. I lived in Spain continuously until 2019 when I left to take care of a sick relative and then became stuck because of covid. Am I entitled to come back to live in Spain



    • Javier Rodríguez
      May 11, 2022 @ 7:36 pm

      Hello Mary,
      When holding an old EU residency certificate in Spain (Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la UE) as a British citizen, the only one way to know if you can exchange it for a new residency card (T.I.E.) is applying at the police. Their system usually let them know if you are considered as a resident or, instead, they have several evidences you have not been living in Spain for the last years.
      Best of luck,
      Javier R.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.