Expat Agency
We Assist You To Live in Spain

Javier Rodríguez

Javier leads Expat Agency and is an expert in Inmigration and Intercultural Exchange. He studied Law & Political Science between the universities of Granada (Spain), Prague (Czech Republic) and Poznań (Poland) and is an official collaborator at DGT (Directorate General of Traffic). He speaks English, French, Italian and Spanish and is accustomed to work for expats from all over the world.


  1. John
    September 4, 2018 @ 8:21 pm

    Hi Javier,

    I earn more than €22,000 per year in my home country Ireland which has a double taxation treaty with Spain. If I declare my income when I apply for a NIE does this mean I will still be double taxed even though this treaty is in place?

    I want to work remotely in Spain but my home office is in Ireland. I pay taxes fully in Ireland and travel quite a lot so I will be out of Spain for a good part of the year but still in Spain more than 183 days more than likely.


    • Javier Rodríguez
      September 5, 2018 @ 1:02 am

      Hello John,

      I can see some confunsion. Applying for a NIE means you are NOT a tax resident. So you may mean RESIDENCY. In that case, you need to declare your taxes at the country where you get this money from (Ireland) and get this money in an Irish bank account. If so, you will not need to declare them in Spain.

      However, according to the Spanish laws, actually you should declare your incomes over 21600€/year, so if you get your pension DIRECTLY in a Spanish bank account, the Spanish Tax office may fine you and ask you to pay some taxes from that day.

      In summary, I find unfair that the Spanish Tax office wants to charge a foreign pension, but this will just work you resident in Spain and get your pension directly in a Spanish bank account.


  2. Daryl
    November 11, 2018 @ 3:06 pm

    Hi Javier,

    I am a recidencial landlord in England and make some €45,000 in profit. I am looking to live in Spain. Do I have to declare and pay Spanish taxes once UK taxes have been deducted?


    • Javier Rodríguez
      November 12, 2018 @ 2:58 pm


      If you are a registered as a resident in Spain and your incomes are over €22,000 per year (right into your Spanish bank account/s, to be more exact), you should declare your taxes in Spain, regardless of the UK deductions. In such a case, you may need to fill in some forms in order to avoid a double taxation.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *